Stopping the Use of Fake IDs in West Virginia
The United States is facing a serious problem with the rising prevalence and proliferation of fake identification cards across the country. This issue goes far beyond teenagers trying to pass of fake drivers license to get into the local dive bar; we are seeing a growing prevalence of expertly forged documents being utilized to commit white collar crimes like identity theft, mortgage fraud, and credit card scams even after both state and federal law enforcement agencies continue to crack down on these issues. The impact of the phenomenon is evident across the US, even in the state of West Virginia. As the stories below show, fake identification has been highlighted in several recent events state-wide:
- In Morgantown, authorities cited 23 underage individuals in possession of fake ID’s over the course of a single weekend as part of a multi agency crackdown on underage drinking. All offenders were between the ages of 18 to 20, and were given mandatory $500 fines and had their driving privileges suspended as a result.
- In Charleston, seven men from North Carolina were arrested after it was discovered that the group were using fake ID’s to open up credit card accounts and make fraudulent purchases at several local stores and establishments. Police received a tip after it was discovered that the group had opened several credit card accounts at the same department store. At the time of the arrest, the group was found in possession of a printer, a laptop, stacks of blank checks, and a device used to re-code credit cards.
The Penalties for Fake ID possession in West Virginia
In West Virginia, punishments for using a fake ID can vary. For instance, in the benefits received by using the fake ID are of a value of less than $1,000, you will be charged with a misdemeanor and face a punishment of:
- A jail sentence up to between 30 days and 1 year in length
- The By 12 Review Education 2016 27 In Year Fines up to $1,000
Additionally, if the value of the benefits received is $1,000 or more, you will be charged with a felony and face a punishment of:
- The By 12 Review Education 2016 27 In Year A jail sentence up to 5 years in length
- The By 12 Review Education 2016 27 In Year Fines up to $20,000
How to Spot a Fake West Virginia ID
For bartenders, doormen, waiters, waitresses, notaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and any other people who must verify ID’s in a professional environment, the proliferation in fake ID creation and distribution is disturbing. In many scenarios, the person responsible for failing to recognize a forged ID takes on just as much, if not more, liability than the person possessing the forged document. That being said, it is absolutely vital that businesses needing to regularly verify the identity of their patrons or employees use the I.D. Checking Guide.
What the I.D. Checking Guide Includes:
- The By 12 Review Education 2016 27 In Year A full page or more for each U.S. state and Canadian province identity card sample, showing driver’s licenses and ID cards, plus U.S. and Canadian territories.
- Guidelines on standard West Virginia driver's license terms, term length, etc.
- An explanation of where ghost images, holographic overlay, UV elements, microprinting, and other security features should be found on valid West Virginia ID
- An explanation of what the proper alphanumeric sequencing of a West Virginia ID or Driver's license should be (i.e how many letters, numbers, etc.)
- Full details for past and current West Virginia driver's licenses in circulation.
- The By 12 Review Education 2016 27 In Year "How to check driver’s licenses" techniques for training use.